It’s crucial to schedule furnace maintenance regularly. When you book a tune-up every year with a professional HVAC technician, you can help lengthen your furnace’s lifespan, enhance its performance, and improve energy efficiency.
Most HVAC companies have a furnace tune-up checklist that includes various inspections, cleanings, and tests necessary to keep your system in the best shape. But, what is included in a furnace tune-up? Let’s go over some of the most important parts of a furnace tune-up checklist!
During a regular maintenance service, an HVAC technician will inspect the furnace and its components. Some components the technician will inspect can include:
- Heat Exchangers: The heat exchanger is one of the most important parts of your furnace. The technician will look for cracks or corrosion on the heat exchanger as well as soot.
- The Ventilation System: A professional will check the ventilation system and flues to make sure that the gas is venting properly.
- The Thermostat: Your thermostat can play a significant role in your furnace’s performance. During an inspection, a technician checks your thermostat to ensure it’s working properly. Thermostat calibration or new batteries may be needed.
- The Pilot Light: It’s crucial to have your pilot light or igniter inspected to ensure that they’re functioning correctly.
While this isn’t an exhaustive list of what is included in a furnace tune-up, it gives you an idea of what a technician will do. Furnace tune-ups are comprehensive!
Cleaning Key Components
While heating your home, your furnace can become dirty with dust and other debris. Unfortunately, this debris can hinder the performance of your furnace. When you care for your heating system, such as with regular maintenance, you can help your furnace operate in peak condition. As a result, you can see improvements in energy efficiency (while potentially lowering your energy bills).
When it comes to cleaning, what is included in a furnace tune-up? A professional technician’s furnace tune-up checklist will often include:
- Cleaning the furnace’s exterior
- Replacing the furnace air filter if necessary
- Properly caring for the blower assembly
Cleaning an HVAC system can help prevent damage to the unit. For instance, a furnace’s blower assembly needs to be cleaned since dust particles can cause problems with the blower wheel. Additionally, a dirty furnace filter can lead to restricted airflow and poor indoor air quality in your home.
Testing the System
When the heating season rolls around, you want your heating system to be ready to tackle those chilly temperatures and keep you warm. Unfortunately, over time, your furnace experiences wear and tear that can hinder its function—and leave you in the cold. Maintenance services are designed to help prevent an untimely breakdown.
Technicians perform several tests to get your furnace running at total capacity. One of the most critical steps on a furnace tune-up checklist is testing for carbon monoxide leaks. High carbon monoxide (CO) levels can be dangerous to you and your family’s health. The HVAC professional will also test your system’s electrical wiring, as well as various system and safety controls.
Book Furnace Maintenance Today
Now that you know what is included in a furnace tune-up, you can better understand why annual preventive maintenance is necessary. When you’re ready to schedule a tune-up for your furnace or air conditioner, Arlinghaus is here to help!
Our HVAC technicians have extensive experience performing a wide range of heating services in Erlanger, with tune-ups being one of our specialties. We’re here to provide you with services that fit your heating system’s needs—and your standards. Contact us to book heating maintenance in Erlanger, KY, today!